background

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Was it planned?

When one of my close friends told me that she was pregnant, "Was it planned?" was most definitely one of the first questions that I asked. And, now that we have been announcing our pregnancy for some weeks, I have found that this question is overwhelmingly one of the most asked. At first, I did not mind it, but as I am asked it more and more, I am frustrated with the question. I know that our situation is different than many others, but, really, what does it matter if it was planned or not - we are still having a baby and we are still excited about it! It seems so judgmental and, truthfully, is a very personal question.

So, to answer the question for what I know will not be the last time - YES! It was planned. We feel very fortunate that our plan came to fruition. And to explain our rationale - I am done with rotations at the end of Feburary and "Speck" (Matt's nickname for the baby) is due at the end of March. I have March, April, May, and June off and start residency in July. When we started to think about this gift of time, we realized that never again will I have this amount of time to spend at home with a baby.

To my friend who I asked "was is planned" - I apologize. : )

1 comment: