background

Sunday, August 1, 2010

First Month Down

One month down...47 to go!

So, I made it through the first month. While there were definitely many hard moments and some tears, it was not as bad as it could have been. While I worked almost 90 hours one week, most of my other weeks were between 65-75 hours. The learning curve this month was not so much a curve, but a straight line towards the sky. I had many interesting moments and learning opportunities. Some highlights:

- I delivered 22 babies.
- About 50% of the patient population that we serve are Spanish speaking. I when I say Spanish speaking, I mean absolutely no English. Needless to say, I have been speaking lots of espanol. My espanol needs A LOT of work. With the help of Kathryn, Juanma, and Shannon, I learned how to say some important obstetrical spanish phrases.
- I have had several handcuffed patients with armed police officers.
- Staying up all night is not bad the first night, but the second night is MUCH harder!

Next month, I am doing an outpatient internal medicine rotation and will work office hours without weekends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment