background

Saturday, July 9, 2011

One year down...

In the middle of June, I officially was promoted to second year status.  A year of residency has changed me tremendously.  While intern year carries the largest learning curve, our second year is actually the most demanding year. So, hold on tight...here we go.  Here are some conclusions I have come to after a year of doctoring:
- Our healthcare system is majorly flawed.  I won't go in to the details, but there are big problems.  I don't know the answer and am glad that I am not in charge of fixing it, but we need some change!
- In general, our patient population are extremely frustrating to deal with.  They don't take care of their health, feel quite entitled, and are generally very unappreciative.  I know that many doctors can be jerky and feel entitled themselves, but if you every are cared for by a resident, a simple "thank you" goes a long way.
- The general public has no idea what being a resident means.  No understanding that I work my butt off 80 hours a week for less than pretty much every other hospital employee to take care of patients who will never even pay the system a penny and who are very unappreciative.
- I have learned to be more assertive especially with the nurses who will walk all over you if you let them.
- Although residency is tough, I have really enjoyed my residency program, the fellow residency, and our hospital system.
- I have learned a tremendous amount and honed my surgical skills, but I still have a long way to go!
- I know all of the secret places to get food!
- Most importantly, I have learned even more what an awesome husband I have.  He does so much around the house so that I can enjoy every second with our family that I have.  He is always willing to try and come bring Carter to see me at the hospital even if it is only for a hug and then goodbye.  I am so lucky to have him and appreciate all of the sacrifice that he has made this year and will continue to make for the next three years.

No comments:

Post a Comment